Our lifestyle keeps changing and is getting faster day by day. It is consumed by pollution, fast food, parties, stress, overworking, and whatnot!
We run so much that we often forget to stay healthy to keep running. Remember, only when you take care of your body will it take care of you. Detoxification, often known as detox, is exactly what this trendy jargon refers to. What is it? Let's find out.
What are toxins?
There are toxins in the air, your purse, car, gym & even in your office. You come across various inedible products, chemicals, pesticides, etc. daily. Some of these make their way to your body.
However, our body is very complex & is equipped to keep bad things out. Anything that passes through your stomach & intestine or harmful particles that have been broken down that sneak past your blood have to deal with a strong defense– the liver.
The liver is well equipped to handle more than alcohol. It filters all the blood before it is circulated to the rest of the organs & body parts. It breaks down drugs & detoxifies chemicals.
Detoxification is a process during which you get rid of your toxin load, cleanse your body, and let it rest.
To begin your detox journey, First ask yourself, ‘Are you eating healthy?’ Because studies say, if you are eating healthy, your body will self-cleanse and self-heal by itself. Detox is as simple as that.
Further, detox works in two ways.
One is to kick-start your detox routine by lightening up your toxic load. You have got to give up on stimulants like alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes, and avoid processed foods.
The other way is to cleanse your body by practicing specific mindful ways.
For instance, people used to follow methods like fasting, enemas, and sweat lodges to detoxify their bodies and minds.
A detox program can help the body's natural cleansing process by:
- Resting the organs through fasting;
- Stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body;
- Promoting elimination through the intestines, kidneys, and skin;
- Improving circulation of blood; and
- Refueling the body with healthy nutrients
Why do you need detox teas?
Detox cleanse Tea drinks are often used as part of a long-term detox program, such as 3-4 glasses per day.
While these Teas help in supporting the body's natural detoxification processes, it's important to remember that the body is designed to eliminate toxins on its own through organs like the liver, kidneys, and digestive system.
Maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle can help support these natural processes over the long term.
The specific way in which detox cleanse teas drinks work can vary depending on the ingredients and formulation of the drink. Some common ingredients found in detox tea drinks include:
- Water: Staying hydrated is important for supporting the body's natural detoxification processes.
- Lemon: Lemon is a natural diuretic, which means it helps to increase urine output and flush toxins out of the body. Lemon is also high in vitamin C, which can support the liver's natural detoxification processes.
- Ginger: Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and can help support digestion and circulation, which can aid in the removal of toxins from the body.
- Turmeric: Turmeric contains an antioxidant compound called curcumin, which has been shown to support liver function and aid in the removal of toxins from the body.
- Green tea: Green tea is high in antioxidants and can help support the liver's natural detoxification processes.
It typically implies following a specific diet or using special products that claim to rid your body of toxins, thereby improving health and promoting weight loss.
Your body doesn’t actually require special diets or expensive supplements to eliminate toxins. But some strategies can help rejuvenate your body’s natural detoxification system.
How does detoxing helps you maintain a fitness discipline?
Calorie restriction & intermittent fasting are effective ways of detoxing. Losing weight is a way of detoxing since burning fats results in fat-soluble toxins making their way out of the body into the blood.
Once it reaches blood the same is filtered by the liver to detoxify & remove from the body. While adopting calorie restriction & intermittent fasting, you should consider the following:
- Calorie restriction should not lead to malnutrition & not deprive you of essential nutrients.
- Focus on getting essential nutrients from food & not relying on supplements.
- To ensure that you get all vital nutrients through calorie restriction, reduction in calories should not exceed 10%. Ideally, you should create a calorie deficit through rigorous workouts.
- Intermittent fasting helps in changing the eating time to benefit from the body’s natural fasting state
A blend of fruits & vegetables is low in calorie & provide a host of antioxidants, minerals, vitamins & fiber. These macronutrients help in regulating enzymes in the liver that further assists in detoxification.
Drinking more water ( more than recommended 7 - 8 ) and detox teas ( recommended 3-4 per day) helps in digesting & clearing waste & is said to have additional health benefits.
Commercial detoxify diets sometimes do help in weight loss through calorie restriction & intermittent fasting. However such crash diets are short-term in nature & after some time your body gets used to burning fewer calories & resorts to normal eating habits. This ends up with you gaining weight. Such diets can be unsafe for pregnant women.
What are the best detox teas for overall health and to lose weight naturally?
- Lemon Ginger Black tea
- Rose Lemon Green Tea
- Kashmiri Kahwa Green
- Rooibos Orange Herbal tea
- Apple cinnamon black tea
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, detoxification is about giving your body the rest it needs to naturally eliminate toxins, which can be achieved through healthy eating habits, exercise, and mindful practices. While detox teas can support the body's natural detoxification processes, they should not be relied on as a long-term solution.
Instead, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and incorporating natural detoxifying strategies such as intermittent fasting, consuming a blend of fruits and vegetables, and staying hydrated can help keep your body in top shape. Remember, taking care of your body is essential for it to take care of you in return.